The Whole World

"And He is the propitiation (satisfaction) for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world." (I John 2:2) Did Christ’s death satisfy God’s holy law for every member of the human race? If so, then all will live with Him in glory, which as we know, the Bible does not teach.

No, John is telling his predominately Jewish readers that Christ’s atonement was also for Gentiles (compare Acts 22:15 and 22:21 where "all men" and Gentiles are used synonymously).

To say otherwise is to declare that Christ’s death satisfied the wrath of God for those who are in hell just as much as for those in heaven. If that is the case, then why are they in hell? Unbelief? This cannot be, for according to this false interpretation of I John 2:2, Jesus made satisfaction for all their sins; and why is this one an exception?

However men may quibble and wrest the Scriptures, one thing is certain: the Atonement was no failure in anyone’s case.

God will not allow that precious and costly sacrifice to fail in accomplishing, completely, that for which it was designed. Not a drop of that holy blood was shed in vain.

In the last great Day there shall stand forth no disappointed Savior, but One who "Shall see the travail of His soul and be satisfied." (Isaiah 53:11) Glory to God!

John 17:4, 24 I have glorified thee on the earth: I have finished the work which thou gavest me to do. Father, I will that they also, whom thou hast given me, be with me where I am; that they may behold my glory, which thou hast given me: for thou lovedst me before the foundation of the world.